Tax AnalystJob ID TAXAN019559 Date posted 01/04/2023 Location Schiller Park , Illinois Position Type Full Time
The Tax Analyst is responsible for supporting the Tax function in a complex multi-jurisdictional environment. This person would review and validate sales and use tax exemption certificates daily, respond to customer tax issues, gather supportive documentation for tax audits, prepare and analyze the monthly journal entries, prepare, and file business license renewals and prepare tax account reconciliations. Additional responsibilities include research and apply tax law and provide multi-state and local tax advice through tax law research, support the personal property and business license process. Make recommendations to direct management as necessary. This position will report to the Sr. Manager, Tax.
Key Job Responsibilities
• Manage the exemption certificate process by reviewing and validating exemption certificates received via our exemption certificate system, Compass, and the general Tax email box.
• Review and decide to approve or reject the exemption certificate based on state regulations.
• Respond to all inquiries and address any customer tax issues by gathering facts and performing analysis to determine how the tax issue can be resolved.
• Run reports from billing systems on a quarterly basis to determine which exemption certificates the tax department does not have on file.
• Communicate with field managers to obtain the proper documentation, if non-compliant.
• Maintain files to track those exemption certificates that are returned.
• Run report to identify suspect exemption information that has been entered into the billing system.
• Follow up with field staff regarding suspect entries.
Tax Audit Preparation
• Assist with Sales and Use Tax audits.
• Obtain information from the billing and AP systems, billing experts, general ledger and exemption certificate system.
• Analyze and compile the information that the auditors have requested.
• Obtain examples of contracts with our customers or other documentation as requested.
Preparation of Monthly Journal Entries and Reconciliations
• Prepare journal entries monthly to book payments of sales tax and personal property tax.
• Record payments of business license renewals and applications to our license accrual.
• Prepare monthly reconciliations for sales tax and personal property tax by performing analysis on the various GL tax accounts.
Personal Property and Business License Compliance
• Support team members for any tasks related to the personal property and business license compliance.
• Assist with other tax related projects as the business requires.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance / Accounting or equivalent experience required.
• 1+ years of corporate sales tax experience in public accounting and/or private industry.
• Strong understanding of state and local tax concepts.
• Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.).
• Strong analytical and technical skills, along with the ability to work independently and manage workload timely.
• Candidate will be required to work with field staff across the country and provide excellent customer service.
• Ability to efficiently manage a tax calendar and complete all monthly tasks in addition to other duties as assigned.
• Ability to effectively communicate and conduct sales and use tax audits.
• Ability to identify tax savings opportunities and incentives for the various state jurisdictions.
Deliver World Class Service
Do The Right Thing
• Demonstrates Self-Awareness
• Ensures Accountability
See The Big Picture
• Decision Quality
• Manages Complexity
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Working times may include irregular hours and on-call status including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Team members must adhere to appearance guidelines as defined by Encore based in an office environment and when traveling, on an individual venue or a representation of venues in that city or area.
The above information on this description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Early Career Development Programs
Encore is always looking for talented people who are passionate about creating memorable experiences that inspire change. Find out how you can jump-start your career in our dynamic industry.LEARN MORE
- Event Technical Lead AV, Audio Visual - Boca Raton Marriott Ops - Technical Services, Audio Visual 36593405536 Florida, United States
- Operations Director, Hotel Services - JW Marriott LA Live Ops - General 39417549488 California, United States
- Event Customer Experience Coordinator - The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Ops - General 43747123856 Massachusetts, United States
- Seasonal Event Technician, Audio Visual- Marriott/Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes Orlando Ops - Technical Services, Audio Visual 34998818336 Florida, United States
Your career and ambitions aren’t tied down to one place. We’re the exclusive on-site event technology provider to over 1,500 venues around the world, filling your future with global possibilities.explore locations
Career Path Opportunities
Discover everywhere you can go and the impact you can have. Your career is never limited to one location with Encore.LEARN MORE
What to Expect
We want to give you a window into our recruitment process to ensure that your journey to becoming a Encore team member is a positive experience.LEARN MORE
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Stay connected and receive the latest career opportunities at Encore.