Sr. Technical Director -National (Remote from Dallas, Orlando or Las Vegas)Job ID SRTEC018759 Date posted 11/21/2022 Location Coppell , Texas Position Type Full Time
The Senior Technical Director is responsible for assessing and determining all technical requirements for multi-venue, large-scale, or high-impact events during the concept design and development phases. This position will collaborate with Producers, Creative team members, and Project Managers to ensure the creative vision is viable based on the technical requirements, budgetary parameters, location of venue(s), and event schedule. The Sr Technical Director is responsible for developing technical designs and engineering plans as well as providing Creative teams and Producers with viable solutions and/or identifying potential challenges. The Sr. Technical Director will confirm the appropriate production services, equipment, and technical leads are accounted for in the proposed scope of work per the Technical and Production Standards. This position will also help facilitate the hand off from sales to execution to ensure the technical scope of work is properly defined. When applicable, this position will partner with Project Managers on creating the event execution plan and provide occasional technical support onsite when a Technical Director is not available. The Sr. Technical Director will report to Dir, Project Management or Dir, Production.
Key Job Responsibilities
• Supervise in-house and freelance Technical Directors.
• Prepare and communicate preliminary production & labor schedules, project scope, and execution plan to Creative Team, Producers, and Project Managers.
• Oversee the development of event layouts, technical designs, engineering plans, wiring diagrams and scenic build drawings based on production requirements.
• Collaborate with Creative team, Producers, and Project Managers in assessing the technical feasibility of conceptual designs and provide viable solutions while maintaining the integrity of the creative vision.
• Determine and secure resources and/or specialty vendors required for designing complex production elements.
• Participate in the evolution of the event design by attending internal and client meetings, creating preliminary show documentation, and responding to questions and/or concerns from Creative team, Producers, and Project Managers.
• Organize demos and preshow tests of custom concepts for client review.
• Confirm appropriate equipment, technical positions and production services are included in the proposal based on the production needs of the event.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with clients at all levels of their organization and provide outstanding customer service while focusing on client retention.
• Provide leadership for Technical Directors, Senior Project Managers and Project Managers on multi-PM supported events.
• Act as a technical resource about industry trends and Encore products, services, and departments.
• Act as the point of contact for technical and logistical needs for Producers and Project Managers during the planning phase.
• Manage overall technical design, development, and logistical planning from client approved scope of work to Project Management handoff.
• Source and secure specialty vendors for unique production elements.
• Assume ownership of custom scenic builds.
• Communicate project plan and client expectations to the assigned Project Manager(s).
• Inform Project Manager(s) of client’s production standards, preferences, unique requirements, specific requests, and hot button issues.
• Provide support to Project Managers with onsite technical challenges, design changes and equipment modifications.
• Mentor and communicate with Encore Team Members on event design & development and provide best practices to help improve local knowledge base and experience of Technical Directors and Project Managers.
• Ensure compliance with established Technical Standards and Production Standards.
• Follow up with Producers on-site to ensure that their needs are met, and the creative vision meets the client’s expectations.
• Assist in the creation, analysis, and execution of the project budget, partnering with regional leadership to mitigate external workforce and sub-rental spend.
• Manage the design and engineering costs to align with proposed budget and inform Event Owner of additional unforeseen costs.
• Confirm vendor hard costs and ensure target margins are maintained.
Administrative & Training
• Participate in the development of Technical Director and Project Management SOP’s.
• Conduct review and analysis of proposed events as required.
• Assist in the training and development of Technical Directors.
• Perform performance appraisals for all direct reports.
• Ensure assignments provide team members with opportunities for growth and development.
• Maintain clear expectations regarding responsibilities, behaviors, and daily activities.
• Facilitate training and development opportunities for team members and ensure a safe work environment consistent with company values.
• Provide continuous feedback to direct reports and conduct annual reviews.
• Partner with DPM, and HR business partners to manage human resources activity including selection, performance management, salary administration, training and development and strategic human resources planning.
• BA/BS Degree or equivalent experience
• 10+ years in the corporate event or broadcast industry
• 8+ years in a Project Management role
• 4+ years Supervisory experience preferred
• Functional competencies in event staging, scenery, theatrical rigging, sound reinforcement, production lighting, and video systems and displays
• Intermediate level drafting skills in drawing software (Vectorworks or AutoCAD)
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong technical background
• Strong client relationship skills
• Experience with budgets and cost control
• Operational logistics experience
• Works well under pressure
• Ability to manage multiple complex job functions within a fast-paced environment
• MS Office experience required
• Technical diagram knowledge/experience required
• Ability to travel up to 20% may be required
Deliver World Class Service
Do The Right Thing
• Optimizes & Aligns Work
See The Big Picture
• Strategic Mindset
• Organizational Savvy
• Values Diversity
• Develops Talent
For more information on our Competency Group, refer to the Competency Based Talent Management page on Encore Connect by searching for the title or copy & pasting this URL Link (https://psav.sharepoint.com/sites/HR/SitePages/Competency-Supported-Talent-Management.aspx).
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Working times may include irregular hours and on-call status including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Team members must adhere to appearance guidelines as defined by Encore based in an office environment and when traveling, on an individual venue or a representation of venues in that city or area.
Work is performed in a hotel/convention center environment with moderate exposure to outdoor temperatures and to dirt, sand and/or dust. The working conditions will vary between moderately quiet to noisy volumes. Team members will use high-end audio-visual equipment and electrical components and will be exposed to heights via lifts and ladders. Team members may be asked to work in multiple hotel locations. Working times will include irregular hours and on-call status including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Team members must adhere to appearance guidelines as defined by Encore based on an individual hotel or a representation of hotels in that city or area.
The above information on this description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Early Career Development Programs
Encore is always looking for talented people who are passionate about creating memorable experiences that inspire change. Find out how you can jump-start your career in our dynamic industry.LEARN MORE
- Event Technical Lead AV, Audio Visual - Boca Raton Marriott Ops - Technical Services, Audio Visual 36593405536 Florida, United States
- Operations Director, Hotel Services - JW Marriott LA Live Ops - General 39417549488 California, United States
- Event Customer Experience Coordinator - The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Ops - General 43747123856 Massachusetts, United States
- Seasonal Event Technician, Audio Visual- Marriott/Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes Orlando Ops - Technical Services, Audio Visual 34998818336 Florida, United States
Your career and ambitions aren’t tied down to one place. We’re the exclusive on-site event technology provider to over 1,500 venues around the world, filling your future with global possibilities.explore locations
Career Path Opportunities
Discover everywhere you can go and the impact you can have. Your career is never limited to one location with Encore.LEARN MORE
What to Expect
We want to give you a window into our recruitment process to ensure that your journey to becoming a Encore team member is a positive experience.LEARN MORE
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Stay connected and receive the latest career opportunities at Encore.